• St. Louis Carousel - Faust Park Foundation

    Categories

    Attractions

    About Us

    The St. Louis Carousel, with its 60 hand-carved horses, 4 deer, and 2 sleighs was built in 1921 by the Dentzel Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In the spring of 1929, Forest Park Highland on Oakland Avenue announced the installation of its new attraction, the $30,000 St. Louis Carousel. When the amusement park was destroyed by fire in 1963, the St. Louis Carousel escaped major damage. Its future, however, was uncertain.

    Preservation: In order to keep the Carousel in the St. Louis area, it was purchased by St. Louisan Howard C. Ohlendorf. In 1965, Mr. Ohlendorf donated the Carousel to the St. Louis County Department of Parks and Recreation and supervised its installation at Sylvan Springs County Park. The St. Louis Carousel was operated during the summer months at Sylvan Springs until 1979 when it became apparent that time and the elements were taking their toll.

    Recognizing that the Carousel represented an important cultural artifact, as well as a source of public amusement, the St. Louis County Historic Buildings Commission, began to study ways to restore the Carousel and place it in a climate controlled facility to ensure its preservation. The Carousel was opened in its present building at Faust Park on May 9, 1987. A not-for-profit corporation, the Faust Park Foundation, was formed to raise funds and other forms of support for the Carousel’s continual maintenance and restoration. In addition to housing the carousel, the building also provides space for special exhibitions regarding other aspects of our cultural heritage.

    Highlights

    • Wedding/Reception Venue
    • Gift Shop

    Rep/Contact Info

    Sarann Leonard
    • Phone: (314) 615-8344
    Tonya O'Connell
    Director